Another year passes, and another birthday with it. I feel like “celebrating” my birthday less and less every year, it just doesn’t seem very important to me anymore… I can’t really say why, I can’t say it’s that “I’m just not where I thought I’d be at this age” because I’ve never had a plan for where I wanted to be at any point in my life! I haven’t got it l figured out – far, far from it. I don’t know it all – most days I feel like I know nothing. There are a few things I’ve managed to work out so far, so in “celebration” of the last birthday I’ll celebrate in my 20s, here are the 29 things I know for sure…
1. Makeup is not for me, and no matter how hard I try, I’ll never be the girl who rocks red lipstick. I’ll also never be able to walk properly in heels.
2. I’m actually really good at saving money when I have a goal, preferably travel, on the horizon.
3. My freckles will always make me look younger than I am and therefore usually lead people to underestimate me.
4. I will never master the art of packing lightly. That said, I would happily live the rest of my life out of a suitcase if it meant I could spend my life travelling.
5. I will always spill food on my clothes. Always.
6. If there are 90s tunes playing, I will always sing along, even if I’m in public, whether it be 2Pac or the Spice Girls or anything in between.
7. I’ll never be as skinny as I want to be because I love food way too much, so I’d better start learning to love the body I have.
8. I’m an absolutely horrible housewife – I cannot vacuum or mop to save my life.
9. “Unconditional love” got a new meaning for me when Marley came into my life – he may be a midget Beaglier, but he was my heart’s missing puzzle piece.
10. If I’m not working on at least 3 projects outside of my “real job,” my soul freaks out.
11. If I take on too much, my body will shut down.
12. Depression is hard, and anyone who feels the need to tell me to “stop complaining and just be happy, heaps of people have it worse than you!” simply does not understand and therefore I should stop giving any weight to their opinions.
13. Unless it is incredibly interesting, I have the attention span of a goldfish.
14. I am physically incapable of leaving the house without a book, a notebook and a few pens in my bag.
15. Books will always be my escape and my solace; writing will always soothe my soul.
16. Being married is hard work, but it’s infinitely easier when you marry your best friend.
17. I may not have a big friendship group anymore, but the few real friends that I do have are the ones that is trust with not only my life, but with my heart, too.
18. If it’s at least 20% off, I truly believe that I’m no longer spending money; I’m saving money.
19. I don’t want kids.
20. I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.
21. The older I get, the lower my tolerance levels get for idiots. And racists. And sexists. And people who complain about their awful first world problems. And people against gay marriage. And all the other imbeciles out there.
22. I can’t work in silence – without music constantly filling my ears, I’m nothing.
23. I love the strange pain of being tattooed. It’s oddly comforting.
24. I’d be only a sad little shell of the self that I am today without my husband. It completely defies my logic that this man has stood by me for the past 10 years, never once failing to have my back, pushing me every damn day to be a better person, supporting every insane thing I try to do, seeing me at my absolute worst and still loving me more than anyone has any right to be loved.
25. If I’m coming home after a night on the drink, there had better be a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter in the pantry, because I won’t go to bed without it. I’ll also need it in the morning as a hangover cure.
26. I’m pretty sure I’m lactose intolerant after a few recent ice cream incidents. I wish I could say that stops me eating more ice cream than I should. In my defense, I have switched to soy milk…
27. You can’t choose your family, but you can choose whether or not you give up on them or keep trying to pull them together.
28. The knowledge that eating raw cookie dough and cake batter will make me sick will never stop me from eating it by the spoonful.
29. Even though I didn’t want to celebrate this year, I’ve got an amazing group of people in my life who made it a great weekend anyway!