Chorizo is one of my favourite things to buy at the eastern European deli in the Preston Market. Not the fresh sausage type though, the cured type. I absolutely love it! It’s rich, full of flavour, makes pretty much any dish you add it to taste three times better. So given that it’s Sunday arvo and we’re all probably needing some easy recipes for the week ahead, I thought I’d give you guys two really easy recipes you can use chorizo in; amazing as this ingredient is, it can be a little hard to find ways to use it. So keep these in mind when you hit up the market this week and need something delicious to cook – this pasta in particular is the perfect lazy but “fancy” weeknight dinner with a glass of wine!
1. Prawn & chorizo pasta
Ingredients (for 2)
– as much pasta as you want, preferably something like spaghetti, tagliatelle, fettucine, etc
– 1 red capsicum, sliced
– 1 small zucchini, halved lengthways and sliced
– half a chorizo (cured), halved lengthways and sliced
– 200g prawns, shelled and de-veined
– 2 small handfuls of baby spinach leaves
– fresh basil leaves and olive oil, to serve
1. Cook the pasta in a pot of boiling water as per packet instructions.
2. Put the capsicum and zucchini in a baking dish, drizzle with a little oil, salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Place the dish under a super hot grill, mixing occasionally, until the veggies are softened and a little browned/charred.
3. While the veggies and pasta are cooking, heat a non-stick pan over high heat, and drizzle in a little olive oil. Add the chorizo and cook for a few minutes, until the pieces start to brown. Then, add the prawns and cook for another few minutes until they’re cooked through.
4. Add the veggies, pasta and baby spinach to the pan and stir to combine. Divide the pasta between two bowls and drizzle a little olive oil and sprinkle some fresh basil leaves over the top to serve, as well as a little more salt and pepper.
2. Tofu & chorizo baked eggs
Ingredients (for 1)
– 100g tofu, diced
– half a chorizo, diced
– 1 small red capsicum, diced
– 1 tomato, diced
– half cup of tomato passata or pasta sauce
– 1 small handful of baby spinach leaves
– 1 egg
– grated cheese and avocado, to serve (if you want)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, and heat a non-stick fry pan over high heat, spray with cooking oil. Add the tofu and chorizo, and cook for a few minutes until golden.
2. Add the capsicum and tomato, cook for another few minutes, until the capsicum starts to soften and colour.
3. Add the tomato sauce, baby spinach leaves, and a little salt, pepper and dried herbs (I used a combo of oregano and basil), cook for a few more minutes, and transfer to a baking dish.
4. Make a little well in the centre and crack the egg into it. Bake in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes, until the egg white is set but the yolk is still a little soft. Sprinkle a little grated cheese and diced avocado over the top to serve, and be careful not to burn yourself!