Happy Hump Day! How good is it when you’re given a box of chocolates? How much better is it when they’re your favourites?! Big thanks to my sibling’s legend of a boyfriend for the box of dark chocolate Bounty bars I used to make these fudgy, chocolatey, rich pieces of heaven, adapted from a Donna Hay chocolate cake recipe. If you haven’t got someone who’ll gift you chocolate, I suggest buying some for yourself so you can get involved in some mid week chocolate cake action, anyway.
– 250g butter, softened
– 1 cup brown sugar
– 2 eggs, at room temperature
– 2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1⅓ cup plain flour
-1½ tsp baking powder
– ½ cup coca powder
– ½ cup milk
– ½ cup desiccated coconut
– 3-4 king size bounty bars, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C and line 2 12-hole muffin tins with cupcake cases.
2. Place the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 5 minutes, until light and creamy.
3. Add in the eggs and vanilla, and beat again until completely incorporated.
4. Sift in the four, baking powder and cocoa, and fold into the mixture.
5. Stir in the milk, then the coconut and Bounty pieces.
6. Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean.
7. Once cool enough to handle, transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling before decorating; I’ll be honest, I cheated with the frosting this time and used the pre-made Betty Crocker stuff, along with a bit more coconut and Bounty pieces on top. Amazing!